Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Last Few Days of Freedom

Vacation-time is winding down, and while we've had a great time...I am starting to look forward to a few things about being home.

The kitties, for instance. It is always nice to have some time away from the 'constant companionship.' Don't get me wrong, I love them a lot. But being away from them, and knowing they are being well cared for, helps me relax even more. However, I have begun to miss them and look forward to petting and playing with them.

My own bed is also calling to me. I love traveling, but sleeping in my own bed sounds very nice right now. The house here used to have a good bed...but sometime in the last 20 months, the owner replaced it. The new one is...let's just say it has more in common with a morgue slab than a mattress. We even went so far as to put blankets and the duvee cover on top and sleep on top of all of that. It helped a bit, but not enough. Maybe by the time we come back it will have broken down some and be more comfortable. My own bed is definitely sounding good right now.

My techie toys are also on my mind. Unplugging for two weeks sounds great sometimes, especially after a hard work week. I do great for the first week, generally. It is nice to just be in the moment and enjoy my time with my ESM, without all the other stuff intruding. However, after that, the jonesing starts for my Internet fix. The house here is right on the ocean, and has a spectacular view (pictures will be forthcoming). There is NO high-speed Internet and very little cell service. But, there is a land-line phone and the house does have cable TV. The latter is starting to give me a weird guilt-trip.

Here I am, sitting in front of this wonderful view 24x7, and what I really want to sit in front of is the TV??? What kind of sicko am I?!? After some thought, I have begun to understand, or maybe I'm just justifying to myself...you be the judge.

I live in Colorado, right? Lots of beautiful mountains around. To a flat-lander, coming to and being in the mountains must seem wondrous. I'm sure those folks do the same thing I've done last week...sit and just stare at the scenery for hours. But, after living in Colorado all my life, seeing the mountains constantly, you begin to take for granted they are there. Complacency sets in. And we, as humans, starting looking for something new and shiny to focus on. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I will be sorry to leave this place. The ocean offers a calming influence I really appreciate. Unfortunately, reality is about to intrude again.

Sundown, Out --


------------------------------
Sent from my trusty Blackberry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, I tell you what is... is abuse, is bad language, is spam? Oy, is big shoes!